Sunday, June 22, 2008

Follow Up News and a normal occuring life.

Well, I guess this time just wasn't meant to be. Kathy Miscarried, so we won't be having a baby in February. But we are young and more babies will come (we hope).

On another note, the flapper in the toilet in our bathroom had a rubber "chain" on it. Well that "chain" broke, so I got a new flapper and put it in. Well, that flapper didn't flush right. So we got a whole new flush set, the tube, the flapper, and the part that goes between the tank and the bowl. Well I was installing the new stuff, I saw a year stamped into the tank - 1977. The guts looked to be of about the same age. I also noticed some cracks in the porcelain. I didn't think much of it put the new stuff in and reinstalled the tank, and flushed a few times. It was leaking water all along the bottom. I tried tightening the bolts. but that only made things worse. It was leaking out of the cracks. So, we had to get at least a new tank. Since I don't own the house, my wife called the owner, my father-in-law. He wanted to replace the whole toilet. So I went out and mowed the lawn, and Kathy and I ran some errands, and we get a new toilet, in addition to a 1/4 turn shut off valve. We get home, got the girls to bed, and I go to town on getting the rest of the old toilet removed and the new one installed. As I go to replace the shut-off valve, I find out that they have copper pipe stubbed up through the floor, not a nipple. This stinks quite a bit because the current shutoff valve has some problems and really needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I can't go get one to fit because by this time, of course Home Depot/Lowe's is closed. The rest of the Toilet installed flawlessly, and it is definitely better than what was there before (no forceful jet on the old to help things move along = lots of clogs). That was the bulk of my day. The typical one to one and a half hour job turns into a 3 hour affair.

2 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Sorry to hear your news, John and Kathy. I'm sure you are right about being young and ready for more children later, but it is a big disappointment and an emotional experience nonetheless. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Barbara said...

John and Kathy, I'm so sorry about the miscarriage. i know you were excited about this new little one. No doubt there was a reason and another will come along soon enough. Kathy, how are you doing? I hope you're going to be okay. Call if you need to talk. Take care.