Sunday, December 28, 2008

What effective branding can do ...

The other day, since I couldn't work on the bathroom because the girls needed to sleep and I needed to make lots of noise to make progress, I decided to pull out an old apple iBook - a "turquoise clamshell". It is 1997 or 1998 era laptop, that originally came with OS 9. It is not a particularly powerful laptop, but it could be used for minimalistic purposes.

I don't have a use for the laptop, but I wanted something on it for Mallory to use. Well, Mac OS 9 no longer has anything really useful for it. Since I had some time, I started working on getting Linux installed on the computer so I could put some children games on it. It took me a little while to find something that was compatible, so I was working on it the next day as well. Mallory saw the computer and asked me "Is that going to be my computer daddy?" I told her it was, if I could get it to work.

As I was working on it, Mallory saw the lid, which of course has the Apple logo on it, rather large. Mallory saw that and called it her "Apple Computer". Apple has always been good at marketing.

I eventually did get it working. Mallory now loves it, and dislikes when she can't do things her way. She does enjoy working on her computer, just like her daddy.

5 comments:

Austin's Mommy said...

Uh Oh! You've created a monster!

Lynda/Mom said...

How fun for Mallory! It's nice you have such great skills that you can resurrect a dinosaur computer. Nice to hear from you. Aunt Lynda

Grammyzanne said...

Any surprise? She's got Lawrence genes.

Barbara said...

Great use for old technology. Yeah for Mallory.

LyndiLou said...

It's sooo cool that you know how to do that! :) I'll BET Mallory just loves it! Good for you!